WARNING: Alcohol / Ethanol are conductive

Alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, ethanol and isopropanol) is a polar solvent (very conductive) and is potentially corrosive (contains water). Not recommended as a carrier solvent. Alcohol is not recommended in concentrations greater than 3% of the total formulation. Do not use if it will not be able to completely evaporate or be completely removed.

Phenolic is composed of multiple layers of material and readily absorbs the liquid. Therefore, any product that contains a conductive material should not be used.

Although alcohol will cause short circuits, most manufacturers include it in their contact cleaners, lubricants and preservatives. Alcohol is not recommended in concentrations greater than 3% of the total formulation.

DeoxIT® is completely non-conductive. The DeoxIT® 100% liquids and the 5% version spray (#D5S-6) do not contain alcohol or any other conductive constituents. Warnings should be issued cautioning technicians from using any contact cleaners containing alcohol. This is one of the most common misuses of general purpose cleaners.

Also, the use of silicone in any type of contact cleaning solutions should be avoided. It can be detrimental to the long-term performance of the contact or switch; it will degrade phenolics and plastics over time.

DeoxIT® is used for many applications including telephone switching systems that contain phenolic materials. Care should be taken to reduce exposure of any materials, including DeoxIT® to phenolic surfaces due to its porosity.

Even superior phenolics degrade over long periods of time, and more easily absorb any materials, whether it be DeoxIT® or other products.

To prevent this from happening, we offer many applicators (pens, wipes, needle dispenser, etc.) to assist the technician in applying our products to metal surfaces directly without concern of over-spray to the phenolic materials.

If a spray version is required, due to inaccessibility to the contact area, we recommend our DeoxIT® 100% spray (#D100S-2), which contains no solvent. This version reduces potential over-spray by confining the product to a controlled area without the potential for migration of the solvent.

The DeoxIT® 100% liquid is safe for use on energized circuits, as are our new non-flammable DeoxIT® sprays; DN5S-6N, DN5S-2N, GN5S-6N, GN5S-2N, SN5S-6N, SN5S-2N, FN5S-2N.

Our most popular DeoxIT® spray (#D5S-6) is not recommended for energized circuits, because it contains a flammable solvent.

We recommend turning the equipment off prior to application and waiting two minutes before turning the equipment back on. This caution is due to the brief flammability of the solvent, not the conductivity of the solvent.

If the energized system arcs, it could cause a flash, thus causing damage to relay contacts, power contacts, commutators, etc.

Finally, DeoxIT® is not recommended for rosin flux removal.