Q: (18388)

I need to know which product which would be the best to clean volume pots on musical equipment. When I rotate the pot, it makes a static/crackling noise.

Marked as spam
Posted by Dr-DeoxIT® (Questions: 68, Answers: 81)
Asked on April 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Private answer


For most volume pots, and other rotary pots, use the DeoxIT® D5S-6, DN5S-6N (DN5S-2N) or D100S-2.

For slide switches/pots, conductive plastics, probably the best choice is the DeoxIT® Fader F5S-H6 and then the DeoxIT® FaderGrease if you require additional tactile feel; Search for Question: 18386


If you volume pot is relatively clean, you may just need deoxidizing and lubrication, then use the D100S-2.  If the system subjected to lots of dust, dirt, oxidation or has just been sitting around for a long time, we would recommend either the D5S-6 or DN5S-6N (DN5S-2N).  I personally use the DN5, since there is less dripping. See difference of the different sprays on this video: https://caig.com/deoxit-spray-selections/


Links for products:



Marked as spam
Posted by Dr-DeoxIT® (Questions: 68, Answers: 81)
Answered on April 18, 2020 3:14 pm